Sunday, February 17, 2013

On Down Savannah Way, Where I Fell in Love

We got to go to Savannah not too long ago.  None of us had ever been, so I didn't know what to expect.  I did know this though:
  1. Savannah is a city.
  2. I don't really like cities.
I mean- cities are okay and all- but I don't like to be there for more than a day.  I grew up in the middle of nowhere.  I live in the middle of nowhere.  I like the middle of nowhere.  It's quiet and if you hear a gunshot, it's probably the neighbor practicing on his target for hunting season.

Nonetheless, I do love an adventure, so off we went.

And it was just like the songs always say.......you know when you've found The One.

I don't think I can possibly tell you just how amazing Savannah is.  Or how hard I fell for Tybee Island.  Savannah is, as my priest says, just a sleepy little city.  It is clean, well-kept, and slow.  It is how the south is meant to be. 
If you go, I recommend River Street Sweets (on River Street!) where they have melt-in-your-mouth freshly made, still slightly warm Pecan Praline.
Go to Henry's Restaurant for a fantastic and affordable meal, especially breakfast.  It's just a laid back little diner, with the giant grill in full view behind the counter, where you can sit if you so choose.  Or sit back in one of the booths.  And they are so so so friendly.......even the other customers.  Kiddo accidentally dumped an ENTIRE glass of ice water on himself, the table, the seat, the floor.  I jumped up, quickly saturating all the napkins I had when a gentleman at the next table handed me ALL their napkins.  In the meantime, a cook appeared out of nowhere, deftly mopped up the spill, grinned at me, and disappeared again.  GO TO HENRY'S!!!!  It's at 28 Drayton St.
And walk around downtown.  It's huge, quiet, and filled with these squares of live oaks and grass and flowers and benches.

Take a look at Savannah, and then I will get on to Tybee Island....

Open Air Market on River Street- lots of cool stuff.  We bought a duck necklace.

Live Oak filled square. 

Somewhere in downtown, peeking through a hole in the wall.

Live Oaks and Spanish Moss in the morning light.

The bridge over the Savannah River.

So much of Savannah's history has been preserved.  It's marvelous.

Rain Spouts!

The Peacemaker, a ship owned, sailed by, and lived in by the Twelve Tribes.  We got to tour it the next day.

Food on River Street.

River Street is still paved in its original cobblestone and a trolley still runs up and down that track.

Another shot of the Live Oaks.

After a couple of days in Savannah, we had enough time to go spend a couple of hours on Tybee Island.  If I love Savannah, then I would marry Tybee Island and stay married to it for 150 years because it was breathtaking.  It wasn't commercialized.  It is just a sleepy little beach island where you can ride your bike everywhere you need to and the beach is never more than 5 minutes away (usually on foot.)  We went to the Historic Tybee Island Lighthouse and climbed the 172 steps to the top where you could see practically the entire island.  Again, so much of the history of the island is saved and done so tastefully.  Here's Tybee Island........
Tybee Island Lighthouse (still in use today)

View from the top. 

The light itself.

Checking out the view from one of the many landings.  He was so excited that he could see the ocean.

And then we went down to the beach to find seashells.

I really can't express enough how much I loved Savannah and Tybee.  I have every intention to go back and do it soon.  But for now, I will drink coffee from my Tybee Island Lighthouse coffee mug and daydream about the somedays.

No comments:

Post a Comment