Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Front Porch Barbershop

I try to be frugal.  It doesn't always work, but sometimes it does.

Haircuts.


Why would I pay $10-$15 for my kiddo to have a haircut?

I did it.  Once.  ONCE!

Fortunately, I've spent the last 10+ years around military types, so I love short short hair on men.
Fortunately, I have a little boy who loves the Army and Navy.
Fortunately, I know how to do a military fade or straight buzz.



I bought a Wahl clipper kit when Kiddo was 4.  It was $50.  I have more than gotten my money back.



The only trick I've discovered is a certain little boy's aversion to sitting on a stool on the front porch and having his hair buzzed off.  He likes it once it's shorn, but hates the buzzing and cutting aspect of it all. 



Last weekend, I figured it out.  Give the kid the iPad with the camera on and let him take pictures of the haircut in process.  He can see what's going on and be distracted!  Bam!  Success!  (Except that I've been picking hairs off the screen and cover for days...........)






I use the number 4 guard for winter with #3 for blending on the sides and backs.  I honestly hate it because it's too "long" and looks shaggy to me.  In the spring and fall, I use the #3 and as it warms up, I go to the #2.




Last summer, it was 112 degrees almost every day.  I used the #1 guard, which is an 1/8th of an inch.  I did it by accident.  I didn't check the guard that was already on the clippers- I assumed that it was the #2, when it turned out to be the #1.  Oh well- we both loved the outcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment